Friday, June 19, 2009

Cambodia Trip

I should have post this long time ago. (Well, not that long). Anyway, I've been on a trip to Cambodia with the Southeast Asia Children Charity Community(SEACCC) members together with the Universal Peace Federation Staff for the last 14-21th of May. We are actually running a project called C.A.R.E @ CAMBODIA CHILDREN Project. It's a collaboration project with UPF.


The seven days trip to Cambodia has been truly amazing. The landscape of Cambodia is really different from Malaysia. When I was still in the plane, I can already imagine how different are the cultures in Cambodia compared to Malaysia.

Throughout the program, I've learned a lot of new things. First, I got to know Cambodia history by visiting to their historical places. We visited two historical places in Cambodia. The first visit was to Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. During the visit, the UPF-Cambodia staffs briefed us about the real story that had happened in that place. The museum was used to be a secondary school but then was transformed to prisons for the Pol Pot Regime to place all the prisoners. This is where the jailing, torturing and interrogatinh of the prisoners by the army took place. Most of the vistims are proffesionals, such as doctors, accountants and lawyers. Next, we went to the Genocide Killing Field. This is the place where a lot of Khmer people had been killed. their bodies were thrown away at this place. The skulls of the dead people remained kept in that place. From the visit, we got to know more about the background of Cambodia, the hardship faaced by them and how the Cambodia is developing after this tragedy.
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum

The statue at the killing field. This is where the skulls are being kept.




We had a conference on the 15th-17th of May. Its called the Youth International Leadership Conference which was held at the Cambodian Mekong University. During the conference, I've learnt how to have a good leadership skills, and how to grow love in our heart before we can truly bring peace to the nation. I've made many new friends from Cambodia, and learned a lot about their culture. The Cambodian students have one thing that I really respect, they are willing to work hard to achieve success. Most of them are studying in two universities, which is a hard thing to do. Thumb up to them.

The children has taught me a lot of values. We visited to two primary schools, and one charity center. Before this I take easy on simple things like foods. I used to throw away the food that I can't finish. By seeing the life of the children here in Cambodia, I learnt to appreciate everything I have, the foods, the clothes I wear, the shelter I have and the life I've been living in. The children at the school we visited feced a lot of hardships in their life, which is usual for them, but not for me... Some of them have a bright future ahead, but theor lifesytle blocks their future. Besides that, I've learned that life is too short and we should livve life to the fullest. I always hear this words, but never follow it. When we visited the children with HIV/AIDS at Mother Teresa Charity home


I learnt to appreciate everything I have, the foods, the clothes I wear, the shelter I have and the life I’ve been living in. The children at the school that we visited faced a lot of hardships in their life, which is usual for them, but not for me. Some of them have a bright future ahead, but their lifestyle blocks their future. Beside that, I’ve learned that life is short and we should live life to the fullest. I always hear this word, but never follow it. When we visited the children with HIV/AIDS in Mother Teresa Charity Home, I’m amazed with how happy the children are even though they know they have a disease that can’t be cured. The children have g






You can help change the future of the children too!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment