
Well I never ever thought that I'd love street dance, because I thought that it is an activity for those youngsters who doesn't has the interest in studies and got nothing to do (sorry for being a prejudice, now I know that I'm totally wrong) until last Saturday (23rd of April 2010) when I was out with a friend of mine to Times Square. Our initial plan was to shop for clothes and then have lunch there. We went at the right time because accidentally, there was an audition for R-16 Korean B-boy World Championship. And I guess you guys guessed right, our plan was no longer our initial plan because I just can't get my eyes off from watching the street dance audition. At first when I saw the b-boy word, I thought it's an audition in search of boy band members who can dance. But I guessed wrong. So as soon as I got home I quickly search for the meaning on the internet, and here it is:

A b-boy (or break-boy) is a male dancer who practices breaking or b-boying, the hip-hop dance style, commonly known as "breakdancing." B-girl refers to a female who practices breaking, and the term breaker is gender neutral.
Breaking or b-boying, commonly called breakdancing, is a style of dance that evolved as part of hip-hop culture among Black and Latino American youths in the South Bronx during the 1970s. The term bboy came from the term of beat boy, because they danced to a specific beat. It is danced to both hip-hop and other genres of music that are often remixed to prolong the musical breaks.
Four basic elements form the foundation of breaking. The first is Toprock, a term referring to the upright dancing and shuffles. The second element is the downrock which refers to footwork dancing performed on the floor. The third element is the Freeze, the poses that breakers throw into their dance sets to add punctuation to certain beats and end their routines. The fourth element is the Power Moves. These are the most impressive acrobatic moves normally made up of circular motions where the dancer will spin on the floor or in the air.
( source from Wikipedia)
No wonder, there were many crews (as in participants) out there during the audition performing their hip hop and break dance skills. I have to tell you, the moment I saw this particular group, consisting of quite tough and handsome guys ( sorry, I'm a girl I couldn't help but to say it out) doing their dance, (it's not just any ordinary dance!) I was oh so amazed by their performance I even shouted for them. LOL, that shows how seriously excited I am to watch the street dance performance.
The way they did their thing, the dance, it was so awesome. It makes me wonder do they learn those skills from zero skills or do they really have the talent in street dancing? Street dancing is such a cool activity to do. I hope that one day, if I have the time, I would love to learn how to streetdancing. Hopefully I can go for the dance class or have someone to teach me or something. Haha. And people, those who has the opinion that streetdancing is an activity for useless youngsters, I tell you, it's not. And streetdancing has been brought back to a higher level (world championship some more you know!)




7 comments:
i oso loves dancing and anyting 2 do with it...but i'm more into traditional stuffs. but then, all dat energetic dances (b-boying included)really amazed me...and how i wish i had the chance (back in the old days) to learn all dat stuffs...satu jak sy x suka, shuffle...huhu...tp, msg2 ada minat tsendiri kan?
Yeah, seriously it's pretty cool to watch them dance. Shuffle? Yup I agree with you. It's quite ordinary la, tak special gilak. I'm more to hip hop dance and all those popping and breakdancing. hoho
I love street dancing.
i love street dancing!
Street dance really is THE thing of the moment. I love it!! I seriously can't get enough! :)
you guys... check out "Street Breakers" on I-tunes~!!
I live in Brazil and would like to meet people from around the world. `` `` Life and streetdance
Post a Comment